The “Wellesley” House named by the wife of George E. Foley, the former Executive Vice-President and Treasurer of the now defunct Murphy Ranch and Oil Company, was originally constructed in 1923 by the Murphy Oil Company for the resident manager of the Murphy Ranch. Both architect and builder are unknown.
The two-story home and garage have shake roofing, exterior wood shingles, a second floor balcony, shutters on slipsilled windows of the residence. The property had been subdivided since the construction of the residence in 1923 and many additions were constructed in 1926.
Local designation date is September 25, 1991. The Wellesley House is identified as landmark #12. There was no Mills Act Agreement on this residence at the time of its local designation date.
SOURCES: The information on this page is correct to the best of our knowledge. It has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input.