6554 Friends Avenue was built in 1912 by the Johnson family. The Johnsons were a prominent, professionally active couple in the Whittier community. Mr. A.C. Johnson founded the Whittier First National Savings Bank and served on the Whittier College Board of Trustees for forty years. Mrs. Johnson taught at Whittier College for many years. Eventually, after the death of the Johnsons, the house was deeded to the college.
Mr. Johnson’s nephew, Mr. William Harrison, purchased the home from the College and leased it as a dormitory for coeds until 1965 when he remodeled the house for his family’s use. Mr. Harrison was a well known and accomplished architect for the City. He designed the Whittier National Trust and Savings Bank as well as Whittier City Hall. The home was purchased by the Kearn family when Mr. Harrison moved on and they lived in the house for 25 years. The home has been owned by the Todd family since 1997.
Local designation date is September 7, 1989.
LOCATION NOTE: This home is directly across from Central Park in Uptown Whittier.
SOURCES: The information on this page is correct to the best of our knowledge. It has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input.