6324 Painter Avenue was constructed in 1926 by contractor J.H. Linkletter for William O. Batson. The two- story residence, which is a frame and stucco design, cost approximately $20,000 to complete and originally included nine rooms and a three-car garage. According to a 1926 article in the Whittier News, the new home was said to have “many new modern features” and was “one of the finest residences to be started in the City for some time.”
Mr. Batson purchased the property from Dr. Guy Bailey. Prior to the purchase of the property by Mr. Batson, the land was part of the Bailey ranch. The original home was built in 1887 and was occupied by Edwin and Anna Bailey; he being the son of Jonathan and Rebecca Bailey. Jonathan and Rebecca Bailey’s 50th anniversary dinner was held in the original home. Later, it was occupied by Edwin’s brother, James Bailey and his wife. Dr. Guy Bailey, son of James Bailey, was a Whittier dentist and lived in the home until 1924 when he sold it to Mr. W.O. Batson. Mr. Batson razed the old house to make way for the home which currently exists on the site.
Prior to their move to Whittier, the Batsons lived in the Rivera district of Los Angeles County on Pico Road. The Whittier Daily News states that William Batson was known as an oil man and Pico walnut rancher. According to a handout prepared for a Whittier Historical Society Home Tour in 1981, Mr. and Mrs. W.O. Batson and their two sons, Paul and Hobart, moved into the home at 328 N. Painter Avenue on April 27, 1927. However, Whittier City Directories do not confirm the Batsons living at the Painter address until 1929. Mr. Batson died in March of 1937, and Mrs. Batson died in 1947. The house remained in the Batson family, with Paul and Maxine Batson, son and daughter-in-law of William Batson, making it their residence in January of 1948. Paul and Maxine Batson raised four sons and a daughter at 6324 Painter Avenue. Maxine Batson lived in the house until her death in 1997. The house was then purchased by the Marlin Limited Partnership, which consists of Dr. Leonard and Mrs. Mary Jones. The subject residence was exhibited as the 1998 Design House by the Whittier Historical Society.
Local designation date is September 22, 1998.
SOURCES: The information above has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input.