6732 Pickering is designated as the Knupp House. Levi Kelsey, City Treasurer, held ownership to the property until the structure was completed in 1912, and then sold the house to Silias Peters. The long term owners of the property were the Knupp family where they resided from 1917 to 1969. Joseph Knupp was a walnut and orange rancher with groves located in east Whittier, and other lots located in the same tract as the residence (Pickering Land and Water Subdivision).
The Knupps raised three children in the house, two of which became lawyers and one a physician. Dr. Wilbur Knupp opened an office in the Bank of America building in Uptown, and practiced there for 33 years, until 1979. Dr. Knupp additionally worked at the local Murphy Hospital, and became the hospital's Chief-of-Staff in the 1950s. Dr. Knupp’s son, Larry, became a local judge and served as a source for the book on Whittier history, Founders and Friends. Larry Knupp and his sister, resided at the Pickering residence for a brief time also. Although currently retired, Dr. Knupp still contributes to the Whittier Community through work at Whittier Presbyterian Hospital. The house contains many common bungalow features including a cross-gable frontage, elongated eaves, a large front porch, redwood siding and wood windows. Alterations to the original design include a brick veneer at the base of the building, elimination of original columns, addition of porch railing, and some minor alterations to a few of the windows.
Local designation date is May 27, 1997.
SOURCES: The information above has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input. Please contact us with updated information that you possess.