6706 Newlin Avenue was built in 1895. This residence was home to Vernon S. Auld, an oil industry truck driver, as listed in the 1922 Whittier City and Suburban Directory. Originally from Kansas, Vernon was married to Annabelle, who was from Illinois, and had two children.
This residence is significant for its design featuring elements of American Colonial Revival architectural style, which is part of the larger Colonial Revival movement. Growing out of the Philadelphia Centennial of 1876, Colonial Revival refers to the entire rebirth in interest in early American architecture, specifically the English and Dutch architecture along the Atlantic seaboard. The style gained popularity in the 1880s, but continued to be employed through the twentieth century.
Local designation date is July 7, 2015. Identification #84. There was no Mills Act Agreement in force at the time of local designation.
SOURCES: The information on this page is correct to the best of our knowledge. It has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input.