The original 6056 Friends Avenue two-story residence was built in 1917. It is referred to as the “Barr house” for the family that built it. Structures added later include the two-story pool and guest house (1947) and the three-car garage (1953). Both these structures were built in the same style as the house. In 1945 the rear patio of the main house was enclosed.
The first occupants of the home were Mr. Charles Collister Barr, his wife Anna and their two daughters. The Barr family resided in the home from 1918 through 1937. Charles Barr was a prominent local personality in Whittier almost from the beginning of his residence. He was a founding member of the Rotary Club of Whittier in 1922, a well as a founding member of the Hacienda Country Club. Also in the 1920’s, Mr. Barr served on the Board of Trustees of Whittier College, and participated in the development of College Hills above the campus. A prominent local businessman, Charles Barr founded a number of local businesses, including Barr Lumber, the Crystal Ice Company, Farmers Hardware and Edgington Shoe Store.
Local designation date is November 28, 2000.
SOURCES: The information above has been obtained from the original local designation documents published by the City of Whittier and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input.