5821 Painter.png

The residence at 5821 Painter Avenue was built by Omar Coppock in 1923. It is referred to as the Coppock House. Omar and his family resided until 1927. The Coppock family resided in the second dwelling while the home was under construction. This structure was later converted into a garage, and then back to a dwelling unit, at an unknown date. The main house has been well-maintained, and remains in its original condition, with the only modification being the construction of an attached rear patio and trellis in 1991. Additionally, certain trim elements, such as the awnings and porch lights are not original to the house.

Omar Coppock and his brother Ray Coppock constructed the majority of the sidewalks in the City that were in existence in the early 1900’s. By the brothers’ own estimation, they constructed 40-50 miles of sidewalk. The Coppock brothers also constructed most of the large cement conduit that carries Turnbull Canyon storm water under the city, and finally to the San Gabriel River. The fishpond and drinking fountain in Central Park was also one of the brothers’ projects. Omar Coppock served as a Whittier City councilman for a total of 20 years between 1916 and 1940. 

Local designation date is October 23, 2001.

SOURCES: The information on this page is correct to the best of our knowledge. It has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input.