6547 Washington Avenue was built in 1895. The first ownership record is to Alphonso Moore, an attorney at Moore & Woods, as listed in the 1922 Whittier City and Suburban Directory. Originally from Iowa, Alphonso lived here with his wife Alice, who was from Connecticut.
This residence is significant as an excellent example of American Colonial Revival architectural style, which is part of the larger Colonial Revival movement. Growing out of the Philadelphia Centennial of 1876, Colonial Revival refers to the entire rebirth in interest in early American architecture, specifically the English and Dutch architecture along the Atlantic seaboard. The style gained popularity in the 1880s, but continued to be employed through the twentieth century.
Local designation date is July 7, 2015. Its local designation identification is #107. There was no Mills Act Agreement on this residence at the time of its local designation.
NOTE: This home is directly across from Central Park in Uptown Whittier.
SOURCES: The information above has been obtained from the original local designation documents maintained by the City of Whittier and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input