Mr. and Mrs. Aubrey Wardman built their elaborate Spanish-style home at 13952 Summit Drive in 1925. Thus the designated name of this residence is the Aubrey Wardman House.
The interior, at the time of construction, was designed by Barker Brothers in a Spanish motif and many of the furnishings remain in the residence. The Wardmans were patrons of Whittier College donating such buildings as Wardman Hall, a gym, and the Library. Aubrey was also known for development of the local oil industry, his citrus growing activities, and his pioneering efforts to expand the telephone system for Los Angeles and surrounding counties. Mr. Wardman also served on the Whittier Chamber of Commerce. The residence, upon death of Bonnie Bell Wardman, was deeded to Whittier College and now serves as the College President’s home.
Spanish styling marks the line of the two-story stucco home, which is constructed around a courtyard with a well. The red tile roof with weather vane, wrought iron grill work over windows and doors, and plain molded arched doorways are all features that distinguish the residence. An open turret tower with balconies rises from the central portion of the home. The tower has elaborate terra-cotta work and decorative bracket supports. A large concrete wall surrounds the house and property. Alterations include addition of a sun room and swimming pool and enlargement of the dining room.
Local designation date is September 25, 1991.
SOURCES: The information above has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input.