The house at 6045 Painter Avenue was built in 1916 by the Smullins family and is known as the Smullins house. W. P. Smullins worked for Standard Oil Company. The architectural design and detail found on the residence make it unusual. The design of the Smullins House does not conform to the prevalent bungalow style; the residence contains more features of the previous Shingle style found primarily on the East Coast.
The first floor is sheathed in brick and the upper story is finished in shingles, determine both the shingle and craftsman style. It is the lack of an extended entryway, the exaggerated sloping of roofline and the dispersed arched elements in the facade that constitute a vernacular structure in the shingle style. The only obvious exterior alteration is the elaborate herringbone design currently found in the existing chimney.
Local designation date is May 4, 1993. It is listed as #23. There was a Mills Act Agreement connected to this residence at the time it was locally designated by the City of Whittier.
SOURCES: The information above has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input.