This home at 6537 Washington Avenue is referred to as the Charles Sutherland house. It was built by Mr. Barclay Johnson Charles, around 1893, and was one of the first residences built in the City. In 1956, daughter Genevieve Charles and husband Thomas Gowdy Sutherland moved in the family home upon Mr. Charles’ death.
The residence itself is a good example of Queen Anne architecture. The home is of redwood frame construction with a hexagonal parlor, an extensive front porch, clapboard siding, fish scale shingles on the second story, and decorative brackets. Alterations to the exterior of the house have been minor; however, alterations to other structures on the property have taken place. The barn was removed and replaced with a garage and apartment units in the rear lot. At one time, orchards were found in the front of the property but were removed with the construction of Washington Avenue.
Local designation date is September 25, 1991. No Mills Act Agreement was connected to the house at the time of its local designation.
SOURCES: The information above has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input.