5826 Washington Avenue was built in 1922. The home was owned in 1926 by Ray J. Flanders, a rancher and head of the city's Board of Realtors, as listed in the 1926 Whittier City Rivera and Suburban Directory. Originally from Pennsylvania, Ray lived in this house with his wife Clara, who was from New York, and two sons.
This residence is significant as an excellent example of Foursquare architectural style, which along with Neoclassical and Shingle, is a common Transitional style in Southern California. Transitional styles represent the transition from the Victorian-era styles of the late 1800s to the Craftsman style of the early 1900s and often individual buildings will incorporate less elaborate elements of both styles.
Local designation date is July 7, 2015. It is identified as #102. No Mills Act Agreement was attached to this residence as of the date of local designation.
SOURCES: The information above has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input.