5814 Washington Avenue was built in 1930 and was home to William H. Hall, as listed in the 1932 Whittier City Directory. Originally from Wisconsin, William was a rancher and insurance agent. He lived with his wife Mattie C. and two daughters, who worked as stenographers in the machine and oil industries.
This residence is significant as an excellent example of Spanish Colonial Revival architectural style. Spanish Colonial Revival is the later of two design movements with intent to define a prototypical regional architectural style inspired by the California’s Spanish Colonial and Mexican heritage. Accompanying the rise of eclectic Period Revival styles attributed to architects trained in the tradition of l’Ecole des Beaux Arts, a group of influential French design institutions that emphasized literal representations of European architectural precedents, Spanish Colonial Revival derived inspiration from ornate buildings in Latin American and Mediterranean regions, specifically Spain. Spanish Colonial Revival style is featured prominently throughout Whittier and decorative elements associated with this style continue to influence designs of new buildings in the city.
Local designation date was July 7, 2015. Identification #100. No Mills Act Agreement was connected with this residence at the time of local designation.
SOURCES: The information above has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input. Please contact us with updated information that you possess.