Ross and Sarah Huffman purchased the land for their home at 5813 Washington Avenue on February 10, 1905, for $100. The home was completed on October 17, 1905 for $600.
Charles G. Warner resided at 637 N. Washington Avenue from approximately 1911-1918. He was born in New York State in 1846 and moved to Southern California shortly before the turn of the 20th- century. Mr. Warner was a prominent figure with extensive land holdings throughout the City of Whittier and was the founder of the Warner Oil Company, which was later bought out by the Standard Oil Company.
In 1923, a local real estate developer named David S. Snyder, owner of the Whittier Cash Mercantile, bought the property and owned it until the end of the decade. Mr. Snyder was known for building numerous bungalows and bungalow courts around Uptown Whittier.
Local designation date is December 7, 2004.
SOURCES: The information above has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input. Please contact us with updated information that you possess.