This residence at 13537 Beverly Boulevard is known as the Leslie-Myers House. It was constructed in 1923 for Mr. Bert Leslie who was the owner of the Hudson-Essex Dealership in Whittier. He began his company in 1920 with just two stalls at Bill Long’s old garage. A year later he moved across the street to 137 North Greenleaf. During September 1927 he moved his dealership to a brand new showroom that he had constructed at 622 South Greenleaf Ave (this is now the site of Lee Owen Park). In 1930, according to the city directory, he no longer resided at this address.
In 1930, Mr. Lewis Myers and Marjorie McNees Myers purchased this home from Mr. Bert Leslie. Mr. Lewis Myers and Marjorie Mcnees Myers both grew up in the city of Whittier, attended Whittier Union High School, and both graduated from Stanford University in 1916. After graduating, Mr. Meyers served in the United States Armed Forces. Upon returning to Whittier, Mr. Lewis Myers and Marjorie McNees were married in 1920.
During the time that the Myers purchased this residence, Mr. Myers was President (he also went by the title of General Manager) of Myers Bros. Dry Goods Co., he was the second generation involved with Myers Bros. Dry Goods Co. In 1904 his father and his uncle, Lemuel A. Myers and Wilbert S. Myers purchased Landon’s Dry Goods store and changed the name. He joined the company as Secretary in 1920. The Myers Bros. Dry Goods Co. changed names to Myers Department Store as well as changing the location of the store four times to expand the business. Due to ill health, Mr. Lewis Myers retired and his two sons took over the operation of Myers Department Store. The final location of Myers Department Store was at the Whittwood Mall until 1972 when it was sold to the Boston Store Company. Three generations of the Myers family owned and operated one of Whittier’s finest stores for over sixty-five years.
Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Myers were involved in the community as members of the University Club, Whittier Lions Club, Women’s Club, PEO and other civic groups. In addition, Mr. Lewis Meyers was a director of the Quaker City Building and Loan Association for twenty years, a trustee for Whittier College for six years, and was president of the Whittier Chamber of Commerce in 1943. The Myers lived in this house until 1955.
This home was originally constructed at 2,765 square feet, which was a large house in the 1920s. In 1938, Mr. Meyers was responsible for the additional 276 square feet for the Family Room over the garage, increasing the home’s size to 3,041 square feet. This remarkable home features many design elements that exemplify the Dutch Colonial Revival architecture of this period.
Local designation date is August 10, 2004.
SOURCES: The information on this page is correct to the best of our knowledge. It has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input.