13424 Beverly Boulevard was built in 1920 and does not have a name assigned to it (Landmark No.49). This residence was built for members of the Coppock family, an early Whittier family. Members of this family who lived at other addresses included Ray (429 Comstock Avenue) and Omar (627 Painter Avenue), both of whom played a role in construction of early Whittier infrastructure, including sidewalks. Omar also served as a City councilman from 1916 through 1940.
This residence is significant as an excellent example of Mission Revival architectural style. At a time when new residents were immigrating in large numbers to Whittier from throughout the United States, increased interest in California history contributed to emergence of the Mission Revival movement, which encompassed restoration of extant buildings from Spanish and Mexican periods of rule, including missions and adobe houses, in addition to development of new buildings with exterior designs loosely referencing these early California buildings.
Local designation date is July 7, 2015.
SOURCES: The information on this page is correct to the best of our knowledge. It has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input.