Charles and Harriet Strong purchased 220 acres from Pio Pico in 1867 and built a three room adobe on the site a year later. A separate kitchen structure was built the following year. This new kitchen forms the nucleus for the present home. After her husband’s death, Mrs. Strong became involved in growing walnuts and pampas grass on her land and became the largest supplier of the grasses in the world. At the rear of the property is an old oak tree reported to have been planted by Pio Pico. A Cedar of Lebanon seed planted in 1888 has grown to stand over 65 feet at the site of the original adobe. The residence is constructed in a variety of architectural styles with an irregular shape and roofline. The combination of gabled and parapet design with four chimneys extending from various sides. Numerous additions have been uncovered at the property.
Local designation date is September 11, 1991. It is referred to as landmark #11. There was no Mills Act Agreement connected to this property at the time of its local designation.
SOURCES: The information on this page is correct to the best of our knowledge. It has been obtained from the original local designation documents and edits from the Whittier Historic Neighborhood Association. It may also include ongoing current ownership input.